Hi Friends – Below are 10 of my favorite tips you can add to your life to help improve your health and wellbeing.
1. Rise with the sun. Set with the sun. According to Ayurveda, the 5,000 year old natural healing science from India, we should stay close to the rhythms of nature for optimal health and wellbeing. Barring illness, its best to rise before 6am and go to bed by 10pm. When we stay up past 10pm, we often get a “second wind” which causes our adrenals and other organs to “fire up” again when they should be in rest and rejuvenation mode. This is especially crucial if you have any health issues happening. Also, sleeping in past 6am increases the ayurvedic quality of Kapha in our bodies, making us feel a little less energetic, a little heavier and slower. If you are trying to lose or maintain your weight, get your butt up! Try this for yourself for one week and see if you don’t feel more energetic and more mentally balanced!
2. Meditate Daily. Meditation has had the most profound effect on my life, furthermore science is conducting more and more research in the pursuit of discovering all of the benefits meditation can offer. Some of the many proven benefits are a reduction in stress, improved immunity, lowered blood pressure, reduction in inflammation and fertility improvement. When I am doing my daily meditation practice, I feel peaceful, happy, loving, connected and I have a better attitude towards everyday life situations. Take time everyday to silence yourself. 20-30 minutes is great. Can’t do 20? Start with 5 minutes and work your way up. Don’t know how? Find a teacher, class or just go to YouTube. There are several free guided meditations to choose from. If you don’t do any of these other 9 suggestions, just do this one. It is really that good.
3. Exercise. You already know this. Come on. Get up. If all you can do is walk, then walk! For an extra energy boost walk when you wake up in the morning at 6am. This is a highly beneficial time to be outside according Ayurveda. “Do what you can, where you are with what you have.” Don’t have money for fitness classes? Plenty of free ones on youtube you can do in your living room. Turn on your music and dance or clean the house. Just move and do something fun. Bedridden or stuck sitting at a desk? Tense and release any muscles you can move, your toes, your fingers, eyes, just tense and release. Send some fresh “Prana” or energy to your body. My favorite form of exercise is yoga. It relieves my stress, it’s a moving meditation and it makes my body feel healthy, supple and youthful. Aside from the obvious physical benefits of exercise, it is also a natural medicine for helping heal depression, lethargy, anxiety, weight issues and a host of other ailments.
4. Start your day off drinking warm water and stop drinking cold/ice water all together. In the morning, warm water encourages peristalsis (going #2). It also strengthens digestion and reduces “ama” or metabolic waste, encouraging detoxification. Cold/ice water on the other hand actually hampers the digestion process. Stick to room temperature water and/or warm water for the maximum health benefit. Take only up to half a cup of liquid with meals as to not interfere with digestion (even less when consuming soup).
5. Massage. In addition to feeling awesome, massage actually has many other benefits. It is one of the best remedies for stress reduction. It is also detoxifying, helps to increase circulation, releases endorphins, lowers blood pressure and helps keep your muscles supple among many other things. Tight shoulders, neck, lower back and hips, the most common ailments amongst my clients, can be greatly relieved with regular massages. Daily self massage or “Abyhanga” is also very good for your body. Almond oil is a natural oil that can be used by every Dosha (ayurvedic body type) all year round. I also recommend coconut oil in warmer weather as it helps to reduce heat in the body and it smells so good. Please note that it will also encourage your dog to lick you (that’s my impromptu tip #11, kiss your pets often!)
6. Turmeric. With the ability to aid in the healing of a plethora of different ailments, Turmeric, also knows as “the golden goddess,” is one of Ayurveda’s most powerful herbs. There are too many benefits to mention – it is detoxifying, it is an anti-inflammatory, it fights and helps prevent cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, it helps prevent the hardening of arteries, it protects the liver and can help the liver regenerate damaged cells….I can go on and on. So go buy some high quality turmeric from a place that sells high quality herbs or visit my products page on my website and click on the link for Vaidya Mishra’s product to have top of the line turmeric shipped to your home. Just put a little sprinkle on your food when you’re cooking along with a little black pepper and a healthy fat like ghee or olive oil. Go sparingly as it is very powerful and you don’t want to overdo it. Don’t take the capsules either, they can be hard on the liver.
7. Balance out your life. No really! Probably one of the things I hear the most from people is that they don’t have time to exercise or sleep or do whatever other healthy thing they know they need to do. “You can have results or you can have excuses.” Now believe me, I know how busy most of us are juggling work and home life, but you and everyone around you will be much happier if you figure out a way to get the balance you need in your life. If you don’t exercise enough, sleep enough or eat right, your body and mind will pay the price which can ultimately affect your productivity and relationships. So do everyone a favor, take good care of yourself! Make enough time in your life for work, exercise, proper sleep, eating good, spiritual time, family time and of course fun time!
8. Surround yourself with positivity. It is said that we become like the 3 people we spend the most time with, so choose your company wisely! Be an example of positivity to everyone in your life and gravitate to people and places that bring out the best in you. Read inspirational books and quotes. Make a dream board by gluing magazine cut outs of your dream life onto a poster board with motivational quotes and keep it somewhere you can see it every day. Bring more of what makes your heart sing into your life every day. Life is too short to be surrounded by negativity!
9. Less TV/More Hug a Tree! Most of us, even me right at this moment, are bombarded by EMF’s & EMR’s (Electro Magnetic Frequencies/Radiation) that affect our energetic vibration. Think of all the computers, cell phones, TV’s, radios, microwaves, etc that we are surrounded by. If they are plugged in, you are receiving that vibration even if they are turned off. Some side effects can be bouts of sadness, loss of confidence, shallow breathing, physical and mental fatigue and sluggish circulation. It affects our ability to fully receive “Prana” or “Chi”, the Life Force Energy, into our numerous “Nadis” or “energy path-ways”. So unplug your TV and go take a hike! Literally, hugging a tree can help change your vibration, so don’t be shy. You can also bury yourself or maybe your feet, in the sand for some good vibrational therapy. Just go outside everyday for a little while. Walking in the moonlight in particular is cooling to the system and can help calm the effects of over exposure to EMF & EMR. Take some deep breaths and become like the gentle babbling brook! Also do not sleep with the TV on or with the cell phone or computer in your room. If you can’t move them from the room then unplug them. Limit your exposure to these toxic frequencies as best you can.
10. Laugh, Forgive, Let go and always Love. The most healing medicine in the world – is LOVE. Love the people that are in your world, love your neighbors, love yourself. Laugh as much as possible. The main person you are hurting when you don’t forgive is yourself. The only thing you are holding on to when you don’t let go is your ability to move forward. Realize that we are all on this journey called life together, we all fall short of perfection and make mistakes and its okay. Learn from it, forgive everyone including yourself, let it go and love anyway. Be the love, be the joy, be the laughter that you want more of in your life.
I hope you enjoyed my tips! If you do incorporate any of them, feel free to share your thoughts with me. You can also contact me if you have any questions. I’d love to hear from you. Wishing you wellness. Namaste.
Your Friend in Healing,